This year Shrove Tuesday has really crept up on me and I’ve only just realised that today I’ll be cooking and scoffing crazy quantities of pancakes for my dinner. I also need to have a think about what to give up for lent – it’s probably going to be chocolate, so that I can reeeeaally enjoy my Thorntons Chocolate Egg (hint!) at Easter.
I wanted to share some top tips for pancakes and making a meal of Shrove Tuesday:
- Open a tin of condensed caramel and spread on your pancake with a sliced banana for a banoffee-style treat
- Roll up a Yorkshire wrap – layer thinly sliced roast beef and a smear of horseradish or mustard in a pancake, roll it up and pour on lashings of meaty gravy. (Recipe made legendary by The Guild pub in Preston!)
- Stir some grated cheddar and thinly diced onion into cream cheese; spread and roll!
- How about a pancake burritto? Add mexican spices to mince, some chilli mixed beans and plenty of cheese and salad to your pancake and fold into a yummy pancake meal
- Chocolate Delight – Add some cocoa powder to your pancake mix and cover with chocolate spread or sauce. Add a smear of peanut butter if you’d like a Snickers-esque pudding!
- And traditional sugar and lemon never fails to delight!